Frequently Asked Questions

  • General
  • Background
  • Compliance
  • Special Events

General Questions

Q. What time does the Gaming Commission open?
A.  Commission business hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Closed on Saturday, Sunday and holidays. A Compliance Officer will be on duty at all times.

Q. How do I become employed with the Gaming Commission?
A. When openings are advertised, applicants must submit a resume and employment application to the Santa Ysabel Gaming Commission. Resumes are reviewed and those who appear to be qualified will be invited to participate in the interview process. Once an offer is made for employment, the applicant must submit a gaming license application, pass a drug screen and be found eligible to receive a gaming license prior to employment.

Q. Does the Gaming Commission control the percentage pay-out of the casino’s slot machines?
A. No. The Commission protects the integrity of the machine to prevent tampering as well as ensuring the machine is operating fairly to the patron. Casino management determines the payout percentage of slot machines on the property.

Q. Are Commission employees considered casino employees?
A. No. The Commission is a division of the Santa Ysabel Tribal Government. Therefore, Commission employees are considered Tribal employees, rather than Casino employees.

Q. Can I work for two different casinos at the same time?
A. These occasions will be reviewed on a case by case basis. The casino manager usually makes the initial decision.

Q. Can you gamble where you work?
A. No. It is a conflict of interest to both gamble and regulate the same gaming operation.

Q. What regulations does the Gaming Commission have to comply with?
A. The Commission must comply with all applicable Federal, State and Tribal regulations. There are numerous regulations at all levels requiring compliance. Some of these regulations are: Tribal/State Compact, Indian Gaming Regulatory Act, Johnson Act, Minimum Internal Control Standards, and Tribal Gaming Ordinance.

Background Questions

Q. Who do I call to find out the status of my gaming license?
A. Human Resources will let you know when your gaming license has been approved or the Commission will call you if there is a processing problem or more information is required.

Q. Why do employees need to be fingerprinted?
A. Fingerprints are necessary to determine any criminal history the applicant may have via the FBI fingerprint database.

Q. Does the FBI really check the prints that you submit?
A. Yes. Once an applicant is fingerprinted in our office, the prints are submitted electronically to the FBI. The FBI will review the prints, complete a search from their database and return any results back to our office.

Q. How long does it take for the fingerprint results to come back?
A. Fingerprints are only one step of the background process, and generally results are returned to our offices within one to two business days. However, this can take a little longer if there are communication problems between our system and the FBI system. Business days are considered to be Monday through Friday.

Q. Why are background checks required?
A. Federal, State and Tribal regulations require background investigations to be completed in an attempt to prevent disreputable persons from working in Native American Casinos.

Q. Do the Background Investigators really check into credit history?
A. Yes. Credit must meet certain requirements in order to be found eligible for a gaming license. These requirements include, but are not limited to, making sure that there are no large outstanding loans, no tax issues, and no past due student loans or other unmet financial obligations.

Q. How long does it take to approve the Gaming License?
A. Licensing generally between 10-15 business days. Many factors may cause delays in this process such as: the applicant does not provide all the appropriate paperwork. The applicant’s references do not return our calls. The county courts or FBI are having system malfunctions.

Q. How often do you have to renew your gaming license?
A. A gaming license is required to be renewed every two years from the date a permanent gaming license is issued.

Q. Do I have to have my social security card with me?
A. Yes. Proper documentation indicating you have a valid social security number may be acceptable. The Commission must be able to verify the social security number and retain the supporting documentation on file.

Q. Why do I need to have my driver’s license?
A. The Commission needs to verify your identification via a driver’s license or identification card and keep a copy on file.

Q. What does a Background Investigator do?
A. A Background Investigator conducts extensive background investigations on all employees and vendors doing business with the gaming operation.

Q. If my gaming license expires do I need to redo the whole gaming package?
A. Possibly. Renewals must occur prior to expiration. Generally, you will only need to complete the renewal package and fingerprints. However, due to position requirements, an investigator may request additional information from an employee. These requests must also be completed before a renewal investigation can be considered complete.

Q. When can a gaming vendor conduct business with the casino?
A. Upon the issuance of a vendor gaming license.

Q. When can a vendor obtain an application?
A. When the casino notifies the Commission that the vendor has been selected as a potential provider. The vendor can then request a vendor application and the Commission will begin the licensing process.

Q. Does a vendor license have to be renewed?
A. Yes. The license must be renewed every two years.

Q. Do I have to be exact on all my liabilities?
A. Liabilities must be listed as completely and accurately as possible.

Q. I’ve worked so many jobs; do I really have to put all my employment history?
A. You are required to disclose ALL employment for the past ten years, failure to do so may be considered falsifying your application. In addition, all periods of unemployment need to be accounted for as well.

Q. Do I have to get a California driver’s license if I have another states driver’s license?
A. Yes. In order to drive in California, state law requires once you to get a California Driver’s License within 10 days.

Q. Do I have to list minor traffic citations on the criminal section?
A. No. But if you have not appeared in court as required or have not paid your fines, it would be considered a misdemeanor and an outstanding warrant. Therefore, it needs to be listed. In addition, any misdemeanor or felony traffic citation (i.e. DUI, vehicular manslaughter, etc.) needs to be listed. When in doubt, list it.

Q. Do I have to disclose all criminal cases?
A. Yes, be sure to list misdemeanors whether convicted or not and ALL felonies whether convicted or not. Also include what the circumstances were as well as the disposition. Copies of court documents usually are required.

Q. How do I know if I have a felony?
A. When in doubt, list the case in both felony and misdemeanor sections and indicate you are not sure in the comment section. Try to retrieve court documents.

Q. What do you consider disqualifying credit?
A. Several disqualifying credit situations are: (1) If you are over $15,000 past due, (2) Have outstanding tax liens, student loans, child support or civil suits that have not been released or satisfied, (3) Failed to disclose civil cases, bankruptcies, liens or other derogatory credit history.

Compliance Questions

Q. What does a Compliance Agents do?
A. Several Compliance Officer responsibilities are to protect the assets of the Tribe by ensuring the gaming operation operates within the approved rules and regulations. In addition, they monitor casino activities, customers and employees, casino cash transactions/reporting requirements, and assist Slot Performance. Agents also investigate and report deficiencies or violations and any suspicious events.

Q. What preferred work history is needed to be a Compliance Agent?
A. An agent should have a background in law enforcement, auditing, investigations, finance or casino gaming.

Q. What training is available to a Compliance Agent?
A. Training is offered several ways. The Commission conducts in-service/on the job training as well as attending training conducted by gaming professionals at various local venues for structured sessions. Officers may also attend training held within and out of state.

Q. What are Gaming Commission personnel looking for when they walk the gaming floor?
A. Commission agents are looking for violations of all applicable regulations committed by any department in the casino.

Q. Why does Slot Performance need a Compliance Agent present to get into a gaming machine logic board area?
A. A Compliance Officer is required to make sure game chips are not altered in any way thus changing the outcome of play (i.e. bonus rounds, payouts, percentage of payout, denominations). Slot Machine game component control is also mandated by regulation.

Q. What do you need to know as a Compliance Agent?
A. An Agent needs to have basic knowledge of casino operations and activities. They also need to keep abreast of all past and current gaming laws and regulations.

Q. Why does a Compliance Agent need to know how to play the Table Games?
A. If an Agent knows how the games are played, they can better detect advantage players and cheats. Plus they will know the proper procedures to maximize gaming protection.

Q. Are the Compliance Agent the security force for the casino?
A. No. The casino provides its own security department. Compliance Agents regulate gaming and other areas as per the Federal, State and Tribal regulations.

Q. Can a Compliance Agent repair my machine?
A. No. A Compliance Agent is not authorized or a qualified technician to conduct machine repairs, however they can contact someone who can.

Special Events Question

Q. Does the Gaming Commission regulate and monitor activities and special events at the casino, other than gambling activity?
A. Yes.  The Gaming Commission regulates and monitors all special events, sporting events, and promotions at the casino.  Gaming Commission personnel work with casino management to ensure that all special activities are conducted with maximum attention to participant and patron safety, as well as fairness and compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.