Poker for a beginner is not always as easy as it might seem. So, for example, already at the initial stages, many players use basic strategies. Of course, they are not as thoughtful and deep as in the more advanced stages. But mastering them is required even for the very first hands.
Therefore, we would recommend all beginners to read the basic tips for the game and use them wisely in every hand.
Let’s start with some simple tips to follow in poker.
Classify your rivals
To do this, you should study the basic styles of play:
- Loose. These types of players play many hands (not necessarily just strong ones). Typically, these poker players can bluff and often call before the flop;
- Tight. Conversely, such poker players prefer to play only a promising range of hands. They can often fold and wait for a good hand.
Also, opponents can play passively or aggressively regardless of the styles listed above. This will determine the size of the bets they make, and behavior at various stages of the game. When you begin to recognize the main “types” in your opponents, you can build counter-strategies.
Tight style – micro stakes success
Yes, any seasoned player will tell you that at micro stakes tight style will be the most profitable. Why is that? As a rule, beginners play at these tables, ready to play almost any hand. Gradually increasing your pot is easy if you play hands with good cards in hand.
However, when moving to more serious tables, your opponents will easily recognize your style and will be able to beat you without any problems. You will have to somehow complicate your strategy.
Discipline yourself, be cool
Many people think that winning poker can come in one particular hand and make you rich. Everything is less poetic: you will have to work long and hard, increasing the bank gradually and slowly. This will take good discipline.
Always be aware of why you are doing this or that action at the table. It is better to take time to think about your move than to react quickly to any bet.
Remember that the success of a strategy is determined over long distances: do not rejoice or be sad about single victories or losses.
The main mistakes of beginners
Let’s highlight a number of mistakes that are common among players with zero experience:
- Exposure to tilt. Obviously, not every newbie will start winning right away. But many people quit the game after a series of losses, or start to commit rash acts because of one poorly played hand;
- Uncertainty. Various types of poker are now available. Of course, I want to try everything. But first, you need to choose one game and improve on it. This will naturally affect success in other disciplines as well. We would recommend starting with classic Texas Hold’em;
- Imitation of strong players. Having looked at the distribution of the pros on the Internet, it is easy to think about yourself a lot. Always remember what real experience you have behind you do not do stupid things (for example, all-in with bad cards and other “tricks”).
Poker for a beginner is always a space for trial and error. Treat it like a game, a way to have fun, to test yourself. Never forget that poker should be fun.